|Which are controls needed to be performed during the transaction?
Whether there is any destruction on the card, whether the card has passed its expiration date, whether the first four digits number embossed on the front side of the card is identical with the four digits located directly beneath it, whether the dove hologram of VISA exists on the front side of VISA credit cards and the world hologram of MasterCard on the front side of MasterCard credit cards.
For the physical security features of the credit cards with Visa and MasterCard logo, please click here.
|Which controls are needed to be performed after the transaction?
The card number on the sales slip printed by the POS machine and the number on the front side of the card must match. The ID information of the customer and the name information printed on the card must match. The customer signature on the sales slip and the signature on the signature panel on the back of the card must match.
|In which situations should I suspect that the customer uses fake cards?
Common characteristics of people who use fake cards:
- They generally carry the fake cards not in their wallets but in their shirt pockets or pants pockets.
- They hold more than one card in their hands.
- They generally use accessories such as glasses/ sun-glasses, hats/caps, etc. to partially cover their faces.
- They talk too much during the shopping and are in contact with the owner of the merchant continuously.
- They have detailed knowledge about the product they will purchase.
- They quickly leave the merchant after the shopping and the card authorization are completed.
- If the card is not authorized, they would like to use the other card they hold in their hands. If they do not have a second credit card in their hands, they leave the merchant very quickly by pretending to bring a new credit card.
|What should I do if I suspect that the customer uses fake cards?
For each situation you are suspicious or when you receive a Lost/Stolen Card or an Invalid Card message, you should contact with our Bank by placing a “CODE 10” authorization request. You can call our “Product Security” division from 444 0 832 POS Support Line or 0216 635 35 35 phone line.
|What is “CODE 10” message?
When the company representative suspects the customer who wished to use the card; “Code 10” is a special security code which enables him/her to get information about the card from our Bank without alerting the customer. It would be sufficient for the merchant to call our Bank’s “Product Security Division” and say “I have a CODE 10 message”. The merchant can receive information about the card from our Bank by using the relevant password without alerting the customer who wishes to use the card. However, the company representative must call our Bank for CODE 10 Message while keeping the card in question in his/her hand. During the CODE 10 message, the card number in the hands of the merchant and the security features on the card shall be checked by the personnel of our Product Security Division.
|What should I do when I receive the Lost/Stolen Card message?
If you receive a lost or stolen card message for the card of which your customer wishes to use for the payment; then you can retain the card without creating any risk for yourself and getting into any physical or verbal discussion with the card holder. Please send the retained card to your Branch. You will be rewarded for the Loss/Stolen Cards by our Bank.
|What is 3D-Secure System and what are its advantages?
The 3D-Secure is a system which was developed by Visa and MasterCard to enhance the security of shopping transactions made over the internet with credit cards. The 3D-Secure system can also be defined as the virtual shopping version of chip & PIN application used in face-to-face shoppings.
In the 3D-Secure system, while the payment transaction is carried out over the internet, the bank asks the card holder to provide the password of the payment which is known only by him/her, so that the identity of the card holder is verified. Thus, the use of cards by unauthorized people in the internet environment is prevented. The identity of the card holder is checked by the password. This card holder identification process reduces both the counterfeiting and chargeback risks of e-commerce transactions in a significant manner.
| Benefits of the 3D-Secure System for the Merchant
- The 3D-Secure system can be easily integrated to the existing system of your business.
- It decreses online shopping fraud. Through the system’s secure structure, the number of fraudulent transactions falls and it enables to make guaranteed payment.
- The card holder, while conducting the transaction, uses his/her 3D-Secure password and by this way he/she confirms him/herself as the real holder of that card. Thus, this reduces the possibility of any malicious use of E-Commerce transactions in a significant manner as well as their chargeback possibility as a spending dispute. Thereby, it enables the merchant to save the costs to be incurred as a result of spending disputes.
- It increases the sales volume of online shoppings through customer confidence. A survey conducted by Visa on Germany, Spain and United Kingdom shows that the security provided by Verified by Visa® leads 84% of the people who do not shop online to make online shopping and 74% of people who do not shop online frequently to make more online shopping.
If the card which is used to make shopping has the 3D-Secure feature however the merchant does not have the 3D-Secure system, then any chargeback risk which may arise from the spending disputes shall be borne by the merchant. For this reason, our virtual POS merchants are required to operate with 3D-Secure.