Earthquake insurance was made compulsory starting September 27, 2000 for all residential buildings included within the scope of the law. The Turkish Catastrophe Insurance Pool (TCIP) was established in the form of a legal public entity for the purpose of offering this service and started to provide coverage.
Compulsory Earthquake Insurance, in general, is an insurance scheme developed for residential buildings that located within municipal boundaries.
The buildings included in the coverage in accordance with the legislative decree regarding the Compulsory Earthquake Insurance No: 587, are as follows;Residential buildings built on privately owned land and registered at the Land Registry Directorate
- Independent sections within the scope of the Property Ownership Law No: 634
- Independent sections located in these buildings and used as commercial space, office and the like.
- Residences built by the government or built with the loans provided by the government due to natural disasters.
The Compulsory Earthquake Insurance is also legally required for buildings that meet the above conditions with easement title deeds, buildings that haven't been assigned a type and appear as “land etc.” in the land register, and co-operative homes to which a title deed hasn't been assigned.
Insurance for residences without an independent title deed can be issued based on the statement of the person who is purchasing the policy and the information that appears on the title deed of the land
Coverages that are provided by the Compulsory Earthquake Insurance:
With the Compulsory Earthquake Insurance, physical damages to insured buildings (including damages to foundations, main walls, joint walls that separate independent sections, ceilings and floors, staircases, stair-heads, corridors, roofs and chimneys) directly caused by
- an earthquake,
- a fire due to an earthquake,
- an explosion due to an earthquake ,
- a landslide due to an earthquake
are covered by DASK within the limits of the insurance coverage.
* TCIP - Compulsory Earthquake Insurance is offered by Zurich Insurance Company. Please contact with the TEB Branch nearest to you to purchase this insurance.